Let us help in connecting your:
Audio Mixing Interface and Console, Digital Mastering Studio Recorder, Firewire Control Surface, Digital Audio Workstation, DJ & Club Mixer, Portable, Home, and Rack mount CD/Minidisc/MP3 player/recorder/editor, iPod dock, Digital Analog Converter (DAC), Preamp, Integrated Amplifier, and of course, the headphone Amplifier for your SoundStage Headphones!
Milian Acoustics is proud to offer Premium Quality Custom Audio Cable Assemblies. Designed to meet the needs of Professional and Home Studios, Live Venue and Audiophile Setups alike, Milian Acoustics will connect your entire chain of audio devices in one simple order! No matter how complex or unique the setup, the cable designers below allow you to build each cable exactly to your own specifications. With the millions of different combinations available, you can be sure to have your cable built exactly the way you want it!
- For all Stereo, 2 Channel, and Dual Mono applications. Use this Builder for 3.5 Mini Interconnects like for connecting your iPod to Home Stereos, Headphone Amplifiers, or any other Stereo Devices. All varieties of Headphone Extension Cables are also made here.
Single & Multi Channel - For all Single and Multi-Channel Discrete Cable Sets. Use this Builder for your Analog RCA Interconnects, SACD, DVD-A, Dolby 5.1,6.1, and 7.1 stereo connections. Build balanced (TRS) and unbalanced (TS) Patch Cords as well as all single and multi-channel Mixing Board and Multi-track recording interconnections here.
Snake Cables - For all Multi Channel Snake Cables. A great way to get great sound for multiple channels well organized into a single jacket. Ideal for the same applications as Single & Multi-channel builder above, but enabling you to fit up to 16 channels in a single cable!
Y-Lead & Send/Return - For all Splits of Balanced & Unbalanced cables, as well as Send/Return Insert Cables. For a breakdown of how to achieve each possible function of this builder, please refer to the Notes page.
Premium Standards of Quality: A Premium Warranty to Match
All Cables are made to order and hand crafted with the finest materials. Made with 4% Silver Solder, Oxygen Free Copper, and a wide selection of the finest terminations. All Cables come with the Milian Acoustics 30 day no questions asked return policy, and a full service 2 year warranty. If you have any problems with your cable for 2 years, just send it back to us and we'll repair or replace it free of charge.
Important Aspects of Audio Cables: What you need to know before you connect your audio rig
Milian Acoustics is a custom cable assembly house, and can assemble cables for you using any termination or cable available in the world. We have scoured the earth for the world's best wire, sleeving, and terminations to offer them to you in the cable builder above. We are always seeking new cable materials and new options for your custom built cables are always coming in! If you would like to stay up to date on the new offerings available from Milian Acoustics, feel free to sign up to our Email list for updates whenever new stuff comes in.
Milian Acoustics uses products from a variety of the world's premier audio manufacturers. Our cables include choice components from Neutrik, Switchcraft, Mogami, Gepco, Belden, TechFlex and many others. These companies have painstakingly designed their products to have the best possible electrical, mechanical, and physical properties. Every audiophile and professional deserves the best quality cables and components assembled exactly to specification, and this is the mission of Milian Acoustics.
The chart below describes all the relevant data to be considered for your cable assembly. To learn more about each aspect of quality cables, click on the desired term.
|OFC � Star Quad||OFC � Twisted Pair||OFC Solid Core Coaxial||SPOFC|
|DC Resistance (R)||25 Ω/Mft||10.5 Ω/Mft||6.4 Ω/Mft||23.7 Ω/Mft|
|Inductance (L)||0.12 μH/ft||0.15 μH/ft||0.11μH/ft||0.18 μH/ft|
|Capacitance (C)||20 pF/ft||17 pF/ft||16.3 pF/ft||12 pF/ft|
|Metallurgy||High Purity Oxygen Free Copper||High Purity Oxygen Free Copper||High Purity Oxygen Free Copper||High Purity Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper|
|Geometry||Star Quad||Shielded Twisted Pair||Solid Core Coaxial||Shielded Twisted Pair|
|Shielding||Spiral||95% Braid||Quad Shield (Dual 95% Braid, Dual 100% Foil)||95% Braid|
|Dielectric||Cross-Linked Polyethylene||Foam Polypropylene||Foam Polyethylene||Foam Polyethylene|
Metallurgy - Practically every wire in the world uses various metal conductors to transfer electric current. By a large margin, the most popular metal to use as a conductor is Copper. It has excellent conductivity and is a very cost effective metal. Copper is used in everything from high voltage power lines to broadband data transmission cables. Other highly conductive, precious metals such as Silver, Gold, and Platinum provide for wonderful signal transmission, though are not a viable option for most electrical applications.
- DC Resistance (R) - The measure of opposition to current flow in Direct Current (DC). Measured in Ohms per thousand feet (Ω/Mft). The resistance of a conductor is primarily determined by the diameter of the conductor�the larger the conductor, the less opposition to current flow. Though audio signals are transmitted via Alternating Current (AC), the DC resistance is important because is portrays the cable's ability to handle the currents traveling though the conductor. With Analog line level Audio Interconnects, where the current is relatively small, an audio signal can be transmitted through a relatively small gage cable without any adverse effect on frequency response. Ideally, a larger gage would be used, but as the wire's size increases, other issues with inductance and capacitance become prevalent�which certainly can effect frequency response. Thus the the goal is to make the conductor large enough to have low DC resistance but not too large to promote higher Inductance and Capacitance. Ultimately, lower resistance is better, but when shopping for interconnect cables, Resistance is less relevant than both Inductance and Capacitance.
- Inductance (L) - Every current that travels through a conductive device of any kind creates an electromagnetic field. Inductance, measured in microhenries per foot (μH/ft), is the measure of the induced current created by these electromagnetic fields. The energy from this electromagnetic field inducts its own voltage back into the current flow and distorts the signal current. Inductance is largely an issue for speaker wires where the electromagnetic field created is much stronger than in interconnects. Nonetheless, inductance must be kept in check for interconnects as well. Cable Geometry, wire gage, and dielectrics all play a role in controlling inductance.
- Capacitance (C) - The Measure of a how much charge an insulated conductor is capable of holding within itself. Measured in Picofarads per Foot or Meter (pF/ft, pF/m). This is perhaps the most important aspect of a quality interconnect cable. The charge absorbed by the dielectric is eventually emitted back into the conductor and is transmitted out of phase with the original signal. For this reason, using a quality Dielectric, such as Polyethylene, will greatly reduce capacitance. Most Milian Acoustics Cables use Polyethylene and Polypropylene Dielectrics�by far the most cost effective dielectric polymers available and second only to Teflon in overall performance.
Geometry - When connecting audio devices, there are a plethora of rogue elements both internal and external trying their hardest to seep into the signal path and contaminate the audio signal. A Cable's Geometry, the method in which a cable's conductors are arranged together, plays a key role in creating a clean pathway for the audio signal to pass through. As described above, there is a tendency for inductance and capacitance of the conductors themselves. Too much of either can cause signal distortion and roll-off on both ends of the audio spectrum�ruining the elusive natural flat response curve. The Geometry of a cable has a large role in minimizing this inductance and capacitance.
- Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) - The standard of excellence for Milian Acoustics Cables. Oxygen Free Copper, also known as Oxygen Free High Conductivity Copper (OFHC), is electrolytically refined to maximize the copper's conductivity and remove impurities. The reduction of Oxides to less than .0005% of the total content ensures that no distortion is introduced and the signal has the full bandwidth of sound. All standard twisted pair, starquad, and Coaxial Conductor Cables carried by Milian Acoustics utilize high purity OFC.
- Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper (SPOFC) - Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper makes use of Silver's higher conductivity without the higher cost. A substantial layer of Silver is electroplated over the same high purity OFC as the cables above. The end result when used in interconnects is usually a clearer, more transparent, higher midrange and high range frequencies. Be aware though, that SPOFC does usually color the frequency response. While it can certainly be quite synergistic with some systems and some musical tastes, it is usually advisable to only use Silver Plated Copper when you are familiar with its sound and with your system.
Length - One good general guideline when connecting your system is to use the shortest lengths possible, but not so short that you put strain on the chassis of the audio components. Unbalanced analog audio signals suffer from attenuation as the length of the cable increases. The impact of attenuation is different along the range of audio frequencies, but tends to worsen as the frequency increases. This can result in a sound that has high end frequencies rolled off with a loss of detail in the signal.
- TechFlex Flexo-PET - A lightweight yet sturdy weave of Polyethylene Terepthalate. This popular sleeving material comes in 8 different colors to match your style and color coding needs. It is semi-transparent and will allow you to combine cable jacket colors to give highly unique color combinations. Also highly resistant to cutting, abrasion, heat, and solvents. TechFlex Flexo-PET will protect your cables and give them the elegance you can show off to friends!
- Nylon Multi-Filament - Only the full, soft, and supple coverage of Nylon Multi-filament sleeving can provide the rich and robust feel used by only the highest quality cabling. Designed to provide the durability you need and the alluring look and feel you desire. Extremely soft, quiet, and non-microphonic, this material is also also ideal for Headphone cable sleeving and other cables that may be frequently handled.
- K-Flex Kevlar - Kevlar is one of the worlds most imperishable substances, yet when its fiber is woven into a fabric, it becomes a wonderfully graceful, pliable material with a tactility much like Nylon Multi-filament. Kevlar is the choice of professionals all over the world to protect their valuable cabling - Ideal for any application that is frequently handled or subject to harsh environments like live venues. Kevlar does not melt, cannot support combustion, and and is very highly resistive to shearing, tearing, or cutting. It won't make your cable indestructible, but it will make your cables one of the strongest parts of your entire rig.
With these important factors taken into account, Milian Acoustics provides you with millions of different options with which to build your ideal cable. There is no limit to what you can create! Simply follow the directions for each builder, and create exactly what you have always wanted!
If you have any questions, or would like assistance in building your cable, we will be glad to help! Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include what your needs are and any specific criteria you would like and we'll be happy to assist you in building your cable solutions!
Thank you for choosing Milian Acoustics!